Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What Should I do about a ticket in NC if I live in NJ?

So I was really preoccupied these last few months cause my husband got deployed and I forgot to pay a ticket in NC before I moved back to NJ. Here's the story:





In September I got into a car accident On 17 N in Jacksonville NC while bringing my husband to BASE. There was no one else on the road, my car had tire problems and it jerked out of lane...when I tried to get back into my lane I turned the wheel too hard and lost control. We flipped for a little bit and landed upside down..anyway the highway patrol gave me a ticket for "failure to maintain lane control" because I didn't hit anyone else, object or animal.





The ticket was for $155.00. And the court date was set for November 16th. My husband got deployed on October 22nd and I was really busy moving from our house in Richlands to his family's house in our home state of NJ. I forgot about the ticket! I planned to pay when I got home and put it away, and it completely escaped my mind.





So, last week I got a letter from NC saying that my driving privileges may be suspended in the state of NC unless the situation is handled. I don't know if my license is in good standing or not (NJ license) Can I just call the NC DMV or Onslow County Courthouse explain and pay the ticket? Also, can I find out in what standing is my license? Like, do I have points, is my license suspended etc?|||Karle is right, I got a ticket 300 miles away, and all i had to do is contact them, get an address and send the payment (And that was a year after I missed my court date...lol)|||send in a money order for the fine and forget about it........|||Question is, are you guilty? Then just pay it and get it over with. You'll spend more time and money going to court in NC. Their state or county court is not going to come to NJ for your court case. Not only the expense of traveling, but if your driving, you take the change of getting another ticket while trying to take care of this one. Pay it and forget it. Make sure to get some type of receipt.


I would contact the number on the ticket and politely explain your situation. They would rather have your money, then a bunch of legal issues.


Your state DMV should be able to tell you what the condition of your license is. Just don't drive there, just in case.


If NC court house is not willing to work with you, contact the JAG office at your military base.


Hope this helps. Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment