Saturday, December 24, 2011

If I have a drivers license in NC and am eligible to renew my florida license, can I cancel my NC license?

I moved to NC for a little over a year for work after growing up in FL. I switched everything over (license, registration and insurance). I would like to just renew my Florida license (which I am eligible to do online before my birthday), because I am trying to start school and need Florida residency. I am afraid if I just go down to the DMV with my NC license and transfer it back it will have the date of the day I went in and I can't have that. Does anyone know if I can renew my FL license and cancel my NC one? Can I in trouble at all?|||Florida is one of only a couple of states that allow dual residency. The reason is the 'SnowBird" factor. People have 1/2 year residency in 2 states. Allowable. As far as canceling your NC license, that answer is NO. The only way to do this is to surrender your NC Drivers license at a florida DMV. But you are renewing on line. Do, so. As far as getting in trouble I don't think so. Just try not to be stopped by the PD and let them see both. They frown on this practice because they don't understand. So, Never show anyone in authority both.|||I lived in Florida for a long time and still have Florida License. Florida is pretty good about still giving you resident tuition. You've lived there all of your life, and it seems you only went to NC to work. Florida is strict on people who have lived in other states and go there only to get an education, then leave. Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. When I moved to Florida I had never lived there before. I got a Florida License, filed a declaration of domicile, registered to vote, and after living there for a year they reclassified me as a resident. You having lived there all your life, being a native Floridian, will all be to your advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment