Friday, December 16, 2011

Tags expired tommorrow, do I go to DMV or inspection site? Alaska plates in NC?

Hello, my tags expire tommorrow, I couldnt find anything about tags on the DMV website so I was wondering if I have to go to an inspection site to get them. (I live in NC).


Also, I have Alaska plates. Will I have to get NC plates to get the tags from NC? We live in NC, however my husband is active duty military (we move ALL the time). Do I have to re-register my car and plates Everytime we move?|||There are a couple of variables involved in your question. Is the registration in his name and is his residency on his LES listed as Alaska? Does he have an Alaskan driver's license? If so then he can legally keep his Alaskan tags (NC can not touch a military person for out of state plates) and will need to send payment to the State of Alaska for renewal. He will need to call AK DMV to find out what forms he needs. I think all their forms are available on line (http://state.ak.us/dmv/). The problem is it will take time to get the stickers back to you. If you need someone to act as a middle man you can overnight everything to me and I can overnight it back.





You don't have to register in your new state every time you move unless the military member changes his state of residency. I have been stationed in Florida and Virginia while driving around with Alaska plates and it is totaly legal. But if he has his residency listed as NC then he must go with NC registration. |||In NC you are SUPPOSED to register your veicle and get a NC license within 30 days of moving into the state. I am not sure if there are any exemptions for military. You need to go to an NC Vehicle %26amp; License Plate Renewal Offices to take care of the registration.|||You have to register your car in that state. But make sure you dont tell them you lived there for a long time or they can back charge you for the use in there state. I belive in that state you will need to get car inspected.|||Check your military directory. Im sure they have answers to all moving questions including vehicle procedures. But if im correct you should be able to keep your license plate for your PERMANENT state you register in.

No comments:

Post a Comment