Friday, December 16, 2011

Are visits to DMV offices horrible for everyone or is the state of NC just incredibly slow?

I live in Raleigh, NC and I've never been in and out of a DMV in less than 1 and 1/2 hours. Recently I had to get my Drivers License (DL) remade due to an ink flaw where the ink faded to almost nothing. The replacement was free, but the wait was pure hell. The location I visited doesn't have separate lines for varying needs. Only one long line exists where you wait close to an hour just to get a ticket number. After that you wait for your ticket to be called. That wait is at least 30 minutes more. While waiting, I talked to a man who had been waiting almost 4 hours for a different need. Today my husband just got back from the same DMV location. He waited one hour only to be told that his insurance card didn't provide the information they needed for him to get a NC DL. He even had his insurance agent on the phone verifying his coverage and the DMV still wanted more information. I've heard many people from work having had similar experiences with super long waiting times. I've even tried going at off times and that still doesn't help. Is this typical everywhere or is NC just a special pain where DMV visits are concerned?|||I have one right up the road from me, in GA.





Most time I've ever spent there, was 10 minutes. And that was because I had to call my insurance to confirm something.





On average, under 5 minutes.





I also used the one in California, when I lived out there. Least amount of time, was 6 hours and some change. Usually, it was an all day event.





Until I discovered something great. Most places allow you to call, and get a reservation. You show up, at your time, and you skip everyone else. 5 minutes, in and out. I think one time, I was in there for under 2 minutes.





In GA, I don't need it, but it was a life saver in CA.





You should look into it.|||You're just in the wrong state! Here in Indiana, I was able to renew my plate, reserve it for next year, and renew my drivers license (four months early, too, to save another trip!) in 22 minutes. Registering a new car took all of 11 minutes.





Indiana has done a terrific job of improving its DMV service in the last 2 years or so; sounds like other states could take some lessons here.|||I guess part of it has to go with when you go and which branches you go to.





I also live in Raleigh. Went to the one on Avent Ferry Road last year to get a renewal. I believe I went on a weekday...mid afternoon. Was in and out in just barely an hour. Not great, but obviously could have been much longer.





(Helps that I made 100% sure I had all necessary paperwork and anything else ready to make it a fast easy transaction.)|||Same everywhere, I suspect. Here in California, you wait seemingly forever.





Here's a tip: I discovered that if you show up 10 minutes before closing time, they HAVE to let you in, AND they REALLY start moving the lines quickly so they can go home. I ALWAYS go in late in the day now.





ONE time, I went there with a reservation, and there was a line out the door and around the side of the building. I went INSIDE and told someone I had a reservation and they said


"you have to get in line sir"





I said "what line"





She said "THAT one"





I said "so what's the point of having a reservation?"





"get in line sir"|||Sounds just like the DMV where I live. Damn morons make up the rules as they go, they only get in a hurry when they eat and all are graduates of 'The Saddam Hussein Charm School'.


Just think -- if this country decides to accept socialized medicine then these are the same people we will have to deal with every time we get sick...|||yes, i was there forever today gettting my permit


waiting in the line.





plus there was a mexican behind me that smeellled bad :/


bleh|||I did not read your whole story but ,, YES, they're all lame and slow.|||New York State used to be infamous for its terrible service at the DMV, but the last few times I've been there it has been relatively painless. Probably because they have shifted to doing most of the routine work by mail, only the people who really need to go to the office are there. The last two times I went were with my fiancee to get her paperwork transferred to New York, and we were in and out in under 1/2 hour both times.





I'm sorry NC's system is so screwed up. There's something to living in the frigid north after all!|||I HATED going to the DMV in NC. I had to go twice while I was there and it made me cringe every time. IF you weren't there by 8am you waited ALL DAY. It was nuts. AND the people there were mean and rude.





I've gone to DMV's in 3 states now. MI, NC and NY. NC by far is the most horrible!





I'm sorry you two are having such a hard time too!!|||The drivers license office in my neighborhood has a kind of "screening desk", where they review your documentation before you get to "take-a-number." It's a good thing, too -- last time I was in there, it was about 18 people in front of me, took about 15 minutes. Maybe a half-dozen got past the screener %26amp; the rest of us got sent home for more documentation. We all might've waited 45 minutes to an hour or more just to be turned away.

No comments:

Post a Comment